Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I woke up on December 21st after a late night of reading with

I woke up on December 21st after a late night of reading with eye strain. I also had a purple bubble on my eye lid (like an enlarged vein). After a hot shower the purple bubble went away but it took another 10 days for the purple bruise? to disappear completely. Meanwhile, my the eye itself has been sore as if I continue to suffer from eye strain. the whites of my eyes are crystal clear and my pupil looks normal but it is still sore and now the skin around the eye sporadically twitches. I do read alot and work on a computer for my job, but I am uncertain what to do or if I should seek medical attention. Your thoughts?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Do you use reading glasses now that you are over 40 years of age?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not use reading glasses. I had an eye exam last year and was prescribed a mild RX for distance (night driving) but I must confess, I haven't filled the RX as the eye doctor had told me that the need for glasses was neglible. But why would only one eye bother me so and not both?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

May be the prescription no. is different in both eyes. Since, it has been a year you should get your eyes checked again. You may be having presbyopia(happens around 40 years, may be delayed in myopics) by now and you could require reading glasses. That can explain strain. Another cause that could be causing problems is working on computer. This can acuse strain as well as dryness. For this you should use a lubricating eye drop like Refresh Tears 3-4 times a day. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What do you think about the vein that was swollen on the skin of my eyelid - the outside of my eye heading towards the crease near my brow?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

That could have been because of some allergy but since that is gone you need not worry about that. When you see an ophthalmologist/optometrist, rule out blepharitis as that may also be present. Thanks.

Follow-up questions, if any, are welcome.