Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

my 12 year old daughter has seen a dark line across her vision

my 12 year old daughter has seen a dark line across her vision in both eyes for almost a week now.It doesnt last long and It goes away when she blinks or moves her eyes.It started at least 6 or more times a day for 2 days then down to 1 or 2, yesterday none. she has some mild seasonal allergies and has been going to bed really late during holidays. she also wears makeup around and in eyes sometimes when not in school. she says she sees fine its just irritating. I made an app. with my eye doc for tomorrow but wanted another opinion sooner.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
She likely has floaters. She hse a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquifies and can sometimes clump together. When she looks in the light, she can see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. So a dilated exam is recommended.

If she notices a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of her vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your eye doctor promptly.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.