Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

Ive had symptons of pink eye for over 2 months,,my docter prescribed

Ive had symptons of pink eye for over 2 months,,my docter prescribed me 3 eye drops for it..and I`ve been now taking improvement..I have alot of eye discharge and burning of the eye..what is it?I`m miserable
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Hello Customer,

You could be having viral conjunctivitis. That may take 2-3 weeks to resolve. However 2 months is too long. Burning is a sign of dryness. Redness and watering can occur from dryness also. If that is the case then the underlying cause of dryness like meibomitis or blepharitis needs to be treated. If you have not seen an ophthalmologist and are being treated by g.p. then you must see an ophthalmologist for proper diagnosis and treatment. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My sister had the same thing..and a friend of hers..we get alot of stringy clear discharge and keep pulling it out of our eyes..obviously its contagious..I`ve been treating it for a month and no improvement
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

How is your sister and her friend now?

Have you seen an ophthalmologist yet?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

friend still had it a little but never got prescription...eyedrops like i had cured my sisters..mines horrible and this stringy slimey discharge keeps comming out..and I have

to pull it out of my eye constantly...its driving me nuts..I have no health insurance or i would have went somewhere for help

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

You are very likely to be having meibomitis which is nothing but inflammation of meibomian glands present on your lid margins. Due to this the tear film in your eye is defective causing redness, watering and burning. In meibomitis, you can get a toothpaste like inspissated material. It is stringy in nature. Warm compresses should help. You should also apply an anti-biotic ointment like Tetracaine at bedtime. A lubricating eye drop like Refresh Tears 4 times a day will provide comfort. You can see an ophthalmologist/optometrist(as their fee is much less) for confirmation. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok..why would my sister and her friend have this though?is this meibomitis contagious?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Meibomitis is not contagious but very common. If I see 20 adult patients in a day, 7-8 out of them have it though the severity varies. Another possibility could be viral conjunctivitis and it may have involved cornea. Under such conditions, steroid drops are required. Anti-biotic drops that you are using for so long could also be causing some of your symptoms. You can atleast see an optometrist whose fees would be considerably less than the doctor's and discuss with him these 2 possibilities. Thanks.