Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

I have contracted Bells Palsy and am having trouble with my

Customer Question

I have contracted Bell's Palsy and am having trouble with my right eye, blurred vision,strain, and a flashing light in the bottom left eye. I got confused on the way home and could not tell were I was. things appeared to be backwards. I was very disoriented. Is this normal or do I have another problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing the symptoms of distorted and blurred vision due the inability of your eye muscles to co-ordinate. The causes of Bell's Palsy are many including viral infection or other medical condition, but overall most will resolve on their own with time. Closer evaluation by your doctor will assist in determining the specific cause. The time to resolve can be weeks to months. The treatment is usually supportive, but sometimes oral prednisone to reduce the inciting inflammation or immune activation underlying the bell's palsy can help speed recovery. To help with the vision, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation. The continued use of tear drops and ointment is important to prevent dry cornea.

It may be necessary to patch or wear a patch cover over the affected right to prevent double or distorted vision. The symptom of flashing light on the bottom of your left eye is a little concerning, so I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for good dilated eye exam to exclude any other problem with the retina at the back of the eye.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you until you are satisfied.

I hope this information is helpful. If agree, please press the ACCEPT button for this assist. Thank you so much.

A positive feedback and/or bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This is for information only and should not replace the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information and I will do as you suggest. What about the feeling of seeing things backwards and disoriented ?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

The disorientation and seeing thing backwards will lessen as the bell's palsy resolves. It can be improved with prescription glasses containing the correct prisms. I suggest that you ask your eye doctor for the possibility of using prism add to prescription glasses to reduce this problem. However, should be prepared to change the glasses in few months as the bell's palsy resolves.

Do not press the accept button again, as you already did before.