Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Hi, My sinuses are very stuffed lately because of dry air.

Customer Question

My sinuses are very stuffed lately because of dry air. I've been blowing my nose but experiencing force air bubbles in the corner of my eye where it feels like my muscle is contracting and causing my eye to leak water. i can actually see the bubbles in my eye and also some squirted water. its very freakish but bothersome at the same time. Would you have an idea of what this could be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing the symptom of sinus congestion. At the back of your nose, on the inside, the orbital (eye) sinus, nasal (nose) and ear canal/sinus meet. So that with congested sinuses (nasal) the trapped air can be forced into the eye or ear sinuses with forceful blowing of the nose. This is a the reason for the recommendation to use decongestant nasal spray such as Afrin spray (OTC) twice daily to constrict the nasal sinuses and vessels to prevent transmission of nasal discharge into the neighboring sinuses, and so prevent infection, as well as reduce nasal bleeding. This will resolve with proper treatment as symptoms.

I suggest that you use Afrin nasal spray. In addition, saline nasal spray will also reduce the tension of the nasal mucus and prevent need for excess force used in blowing the nose. Indirectly, this will reduce the risk of transmission of infection from the nose into the eye or ear. Also, I suggest that you start instilling preservative free drop (such as Refresh plus or Genteal drop) into each eye 4 times daily for 1-2 weeks. If your notice any eye redness, pain or reduced vision, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation and possible prescription antibiotics eye drop for you.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you until you are satisfied.

I hope this information is helpful. If agree, please press the ACCEPT button for this assist. Thank you so much.

A positive feedback and/or bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This is for information only and should not replace the recommendation of your doctor.