Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Constant watering of the eyes and redness of the eyelids under

Constant watering of the eyes and redness of the eyelids under the lashes
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing watery eyes and redness of the eyelids due to inflammation and infection of the eyelids, especially behind the lashes (blepharitis). This is common, and can be resolved with the use eyelid hygiene with 50% diluted baby shampoo and warm compresses twice daily; regular preservative free tear drops such as Genteal or Refresh Plus 4 times daily for 2 weeks, and as needed thereafter; and a prescription from your doctor for doxycycline 100 mg by mouth twice daily for 10 to 14 days. In addition, Zaditor (OTC) anti-inflammatory/allergic drop would help in resolving the problem. The inflammation of the eyelids/conjunctiva caused the tear to change in composition, and as such stimulates more tearing. This is why you are experiencing watery eyes. So, by restoring clean eyelids, and resolve the infection and inflammation of the eyelids, the tear film will rerturn to normal composition. If this fails to resolve in 2 weeks, then I suggest that your doctor evaluate you closely for obstructed tear duct.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you until you are satisfied.

I hope this information is helpful. If agree, please press the ACCEPT button for this assist. Thank you so much.

A positive feedback and/or bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This is for information only and should not replace the recommendation of your doctor.