Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

can someone with keratoconus fight amateur boxing

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

If you have Keratoconus and see well, you can participate in many sports, including amateur boxing if you wear an enclosed polycarbonate protective lens goggles over your contacts. However, with Keratoclonus, you are at high risk of ruptured globe from head blow, even if not directly on the eye from boxing. I suggest that you get evaluated to determine how bad your keratoconus is, if you can avoid it, that would be a good discussion. However, if you have to, then the above enclosed protect and enclosed polycarbonate lens goggles will serve you well.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you until you are satisfied.

I hope this information is helpful. If agree, please press the ACCEPT button for this assist. Thank you so much.

A positive feedback and/or bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This is for information only and should not replace the recommendation of your doctor.