Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

right eye..nasal side of my vision..Went back to opthamologist

In early December, I had an IOL implanted into right eye.
Within a few days, I noticed a dark cresent shaped spot on the nasal side of my vision.
Went back to opthamologist who performed the procedure, tells me that this is common for up to 15% of patients and that it will clear up. Today, the problem is still there. Very infrequently I notice my left eye seems to be compensating and I do not notice the blind spot. What should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

You should contact your ophthalmologist so he can perform a repeat dilated exam. I have many patients with a similar description for the first 1-2 weeks after surgery. Often times, they are noticing the edge or peripheral distortions of their new implant. If the spot is persistent, there may be problems with the retina. So, since it has not gone away, you should have your doctor dilate your eyes again to look at the retina.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

Yes, I am seeing flashes of light, especially at night.

My opthamologist did tell me that I was seeing the edge of the implant. If this does not clear up, is this correctable?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well,

I need to leave work now.

Help me understand, do I pay again for the follow up question?

I will check my email in the morning for your response......

thanks

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

The flashes of light is likely due to changes within the eye occurring after the cataract surgery. It should lessen over time. Since you are having these flashes of lights, it would be wise to have your eyes dilated again.

To process the payment, you merely have to press one of the green ACCEPT button. You do not have to pay for any followup questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks again.

If this dark spot does not clear up, is it correctable?

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

If the dark spot is a floater, then it may eventually settle to the bottom of the eye, but this may take weeks to months. If the dark spot is due to the edge of the lens, then it should clear up. If it doesn't, your doctor may try a medicine that makes the pupil smaller to avoid the edge effects.

Please remember to press the accept button if my answer has been helpful so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon