Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i have Fuchs dystropy and need cataract surgery i need a toric

Customer Question

i have Fuchs dystropy and need cataract surgery i need a toric lenes are the risks very great did not know i had Fuchs?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Fuch's dystrophy affects the corneal endothelium which is important to keeping the cornea clear. Cataract surgery does affect the endothelium but with the modern techniques we have, the effect on the endolethium is minimal.

It is important to measure your corneal thickness before surgery (pachymetry) to guage how advanced your Fuchs is. Additionally, other doctors may order an endothelial cell count. These additional tests help determine if you will have any corneal swelling after the surgery. If the corneal swelling does not resolve, you may need an additional surgery to address the Fuchs.

If your cataract is advanced and causing problems with your vision, it is safe to proceed with cataract surgery, even if you have Fuchs.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

I'm based in the US, so I do not know of particular doctors in the UK. I will opt out to allow other doctors from different areas for their input.