Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

Hi...I hope you can help. I have tiny light spots on my carnucle

Hi...I hope you can help. I have tiny light spots on my carnucle [sp], the inner corner of the eye. A specialist didn't seem to concerned and prescribed drops. I used as directed, but the spots, bumps are still there. They don't hurt, but are pushing the inner corner of my eye out of shape and have shown up on the outer area of the eye where my eyelashes start.
Is there a name for this and more importantly, is there a cure?
Will they keep growing and/or spreading?

Thank you ver much.
JJ
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Hello;

Welcome to Just Answer:

Any red eyes?

Any problem with allergies?

Any tearing or itchy eyes?

Other medical problems?

I await your reply. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Eyes are not normally red.

I have allergies to some pollens, dust, and musty smells. Never needed special meds or specialist care.

Eyes occassoinally tear up when I set down to study or read.

Put me in a vehicle and open just the air vents, my eyes immediately react by itching. My thought is the air carries road dust from the motor and wind dries the eyes. Once I close the vents and put on the air conditoner, it clears right up.

I am generally healthy. No major health issues. Mainly, overweight, high cholesterol [not on any prescribed drugs].

Another main health issue is osteoarthritis. Have a knee replaced.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

It is likely that you have ocular allergic reaction with papules and/or follicular reactions. To resolve this, I suggest that you use Claritin OTC daily, and Zaditor (OTC) drop 4 times daily. This should resolve within 2 weeks, if not then I would suggest that your eye doctor consider giving a prescription for doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for 10 to 14 day. Also, eyelid hygiene with warm compresses twice daily, in addition to using only preservative free lubricants like Refresh Plus or Genteal drop as needed, will be beneficial. Lubricants with preservatives can cause eye irritiation, especially in sensitive eyes.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm always here to assist you until you are satisfied.

A positive feedback and/or bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This is for information only and should not replace the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One thing I forgot to mention is being allergic to the new Anti-inflamitories for arthritis, i.e. Celebrix [sp] and motrin when it first came out.

I am guessing it is the Ibuprophin base of the Motrin. My eyes swelled up and I had worse headaches than before it took it as a relief prescription of headaches. No longer have the headaches, but still cannot take the newer anti-inflamitories as of 4 years ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

With your allergy to Ibuprofen and new non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, I suggest that you use Lotemax or Alrex, and not Zaditor drops. Lotemax or Alrex are mild steriod drops, and does not affect eye pressure. Doxycycline is a very antibiotics with anti-inflammatory action especially on the caruncle/punctum and eyelid areas. It will help clear any associated inciting eyelid inflammation and/or infection. It is used frequently to resolve eye problems such as yours.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would I use the new suggestions same as you suggested with the earlier reply?

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

The Lotemax or Alrex should be used 4 times daily for 3 days, then 3 times daily for 3 days, and then twice daily for 3 days, and finally once a day for 3 days, and then stop. Such tapering approach ensures to effect on eye pressure.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon