Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I am suffering with glaucoma (diabetes related) and have been

I am suffering with glaucoma (diabetes related) and have been on Diamox slow release 250mg for 5 months. I also take Timolol, Atropine and Latanaprost eye drops. Recently I have been having problems with my left leg, pins and needles/cramp etc - is this related to the medicine?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

The medication you are taking for Glaucoma is correct. As for the feeling of pins and needles/cramp , it is due peripheral neuropathy which is seen in diabetes. In this condition there is involvement of the peripheral nerves due to reduced blood supply to these small nerve fibres as a result of vasculopathy. It is better to start a course of Vitamin B ( Inj Neurobion Intramuscular ) for peripheral neuropathy. Also it is advisable to keep the blood sugar well under control to prevent involvement of other organs due to diabetes.

These symptoms are usually not seen as a side effect of drugs taken for glaucoma( most of them are topical eye drops except diamox.)

Please feel free to contact me for any clarifications. Clicking "ACCEPT" button pays me for my work. BONUS and POSITIVE FEED BACK are very much appreciated.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.