Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

occational..I have in my vision a string of light prisoms,

occational..I have in my vision a string of light prisoms, usually in the outer part of my vision encompassing approx 1/3 of the circunfrence.
This started approx 3 years ago lasting 1-3 minutes, a couple of times per year,
in the last few months they are more frequent and lasting longer.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquifies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes or light prisms that you see.

It is recommend that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.