Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I am 65. I was eating soup this afternoon after swimming at

I am 65. I was eating soup this afternoon after swimming at the fitness center for 30 minutes. In my right eye I experienced a c shaped prism like distortion. It was as if the light coming into my eye was being refracted by a fragmented crystal. Only on the right side of the eye. It did not interfere with vision but was very noticable. After 10 minutes the condition went away. I have had this once before about 3 weeks ago . It occurred after some exertion and went away after 25 minutes.

Do you have any floaters or flashes of light in your vision?

Do you suffer from migraines?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No floaters or flashers. No migraines. No pain in the eye.

The view thru the eye when this happens reminds me of the way oil on water reflects the light. It breaks it into blue and yellow etc. Only on the side of the eye and faintly but entirely noticeable.

I would advise you to get a dialted eye examination by an ophthalmologist. There could be posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change in which the vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. This may be associated with floaters and flashes of light. Another possibility is a vessel occlusion in retina like BRVO. To read more about it you can follow this link -

Yet another possibility could be an ocular migraine which may or may not be followed by a headache. It is important that you get a dilated fundus examination to confirm the diagnosis. Thanks and best wishes.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.