Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I have a rash on my temple that is most likely shingles (identified

I have a rash on my temple that is most likely shingles (identified it online). The rash started Monday and today is blistered. I have read that Shingles can effect the eye and I am worried because this is near my eye (about 2 inches). Do you think it is safe to wait until Monday to see my doctor if my eye is in no pain at this time?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Do you have any eye pain?
Do you have any lesions near your eyelashes?
Did you family doctor prescribe any medicines?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have eye pain, per se. I do have sensitivity on that side of my face, noticeable when I blink. No lesions near eyelashes. The family doctor on call did not prescribe any meds as he wants me to be seen first. I am trying to determine if it is necessary to go to ER or if it can wait till Monday. Other option is I can go to urgent care near my home tomorrow (they are closed now). Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

It is recommended you start antiviral therapy within 48-72 hours on rash onset. Without examining you, it is difficult to assess if you can wait until Monday or not. If you can be seen by an urgent care for a prescription, that would be best.

Without eye symptoms, it is unlikely you have eye involvement, but since the rash is so close to the eyes, you should see an ophthalmologist to confirm there is no eye involvement. This can be done on Monday.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.