Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I had an operation 8 weeks ago to repair a detached retina.

I had an operation 8 weeks ago to repair a detached retina. Yesterday I started experiencing vision problems and by the end of the day I lost all vision in my repaired eye. I have had a cold and have been coughing and I believe that has cause the retina to detach again. I am in Mazatlan, Mexico where the operation was done. I can not get in touch with my doctor due to the holiday weekend. Is it safe to travel with this condition? Would you advise me to return to the US for futher treatment? Are there precautions I should be taking to prevent further problems until I can see a doctor? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You are right. A retinal detachment may have occured again and a dilated eye examination needs to be done to confirm that. Air travel is avoided for a few months after surgery when a gas bubble is present inside the eyeball in the post operative period as it cam expand and raise pressure. If instead of gas(SF6 OR C3F8), air was used then you can definitely travel by air. You can call up your operating surgeon and confirm the details. There are not much precautions but the most important thing would be to see a doctor as soon as possible. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.