Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

noticing a few light flashing streaks around corner of left

noticing a few light flashing streaks around corner of left eye at night for about a week. light flashing occurance increased last night to 2-3 minutes if I moved my head. is saturday. do i need to go to emergency service to see an ophthalomologist. Thanks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

Flashes of light is due to irritation of the retina. It's most common cause in this age group is posterior vitreous detachment(PVD). In this condition the thick gel at the back of the eye gets detached and causes traction on the retina and in turn causes of flashes of light. Usually it is a harmless condition unless it causes a retinal tear to occur. Some times this retinal tear in turn may result in retinal detachment which is a matter of concern.

A retinal examination is mandatory to rule out the above said condition by an ophthalmologist.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do I need to go to emergency to see an ophthalmologist right away or walt 2 days as this is saturday.

You need to go to ophthalmologist as an emergency only if you have the following symptoms along with flashes of light - which indicate detachment of retina and require intervention at the earliest.

1) You feel as though a curtain has fallen infront of the eye - hazy vision

2) Cloudy vision

As long as you don't expereince these symptoms you can wait and get examined on Monday morning.

Dr A.S.Desai

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince