Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Is there an alternative eyedrop to lower eye pressure in lieu

Is there an alternative eyedrop to lower eye pressure in lieu of Cosopt, Travatan, Alphagan, and Pilocarpine for glaucoma?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Just want to brief you about the mechanism of Glaucoma in your case so that you understand better the need for eye drops.

In the eye there is a fluid called Aqueous which is produced by Ciliary processes and passes through the pupil and exits the eye through the trabecular mesh work(TM). In open angle Glaucoma this TM is blocked due to some pathological factors.

All these anti Glaucoma drugs either act by decreasing the Aqueous production or allow the Aqueous to exit via other channels thus bypassing the TM.

Keeping the pupil constricted with pilocarpine will avoid pupil block Glaucoma.

Naturopathy or herbal products may not help as none can either decrease production of Aqueous or bypass the blocked TM.

Kindly continue with the above prescribed drugs as long as they keep your intraocular pressure within normal limits.

Raised intraocular pressure causes compression over the optic nerve resulting in degeneration of the nerve fibres. This in turn causes irreversible visual damage.

By keeping the intraocular pressure under control the remaining normal nerve fibres can be prevented from degenerating.

Wish you too a happy and prosperous new year 2010.

Please feel free to contact me for any clarifications. Clicking "ACCEPT" button pays me for my work. BONUS and POSITIVE FEED BACK are very much appreciated.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.