Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Hi, I have one really swollen eye lid. Its very red and and

Hi, I have one really swollen eye lid. It's very red and and swollen. A bit like I have been bitten by an insect or similar. really quite sore in one particular spot. Any ideas? Thanks, Simon.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

When did this start?
Can you feel a bump on the eyelid?
Have you had this before?
Is it the upper or lower eyelid? One eye or both eyes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The problem is on the upper lid. The problem started just over a day ago.

The whole eyelid is inflamed but there is one spot on the lid where it feels particularly sore and where there was initially a bump.

I haven't had this particular problem before although I have had a couple of bouts of very puffy eyelids over the past year.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Hello Simon,

You likely have a stye causing swelling of the upper eyelid. A stye occurs when oil glands in your eyelids get blocked, very similar to a pimple. Treatment is to apply warm compresses to the area 3-4 times a day. This helps to soften the blocked oils and allows it to self drain.

Sometimes the stye can cause an infection that spread throughout the eyelid. In this case, antibiotics pills are needed. If you notice increasing swelling or pain, see your primary care doctor or ophthalmologist for a prescription.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.