Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i started seeing spots in a clear blue sky about 6 years ago.i

i started seeing spots in a clear blue sky about 6 years ago.i am now 50 years old.they appear to have a life of their own.bright but small and are more active when it is warm outside and lethargic when it is cold no matter wether i have been outside or just got there.they remind me of atomic particle movement as seen on nova's show on electrons and such.very animated and all doing their own thing.i firmly believe they are not floaters in the traditional sense but have been told they may be cells in my eye that for some reason i am able to see.i know how ufo observers feel now, i feel crazy.i just today for the first time saw them indoors in medium sunlight in front of me against an antique white wall,alarming.appreciate any insight.also,my vision has gone from 20/20 to needing first level prescription in about four years,farsighted.sign me 'infectiuos rabbititus in va.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Floaters are the most common causes of spots in the vision field. Floaters are typically fewer than you described and slower moving. You may be describing something called "blue field entoptic phenomenon". This is where you are able to see the white blood cells within the retinal capillaries.

It is normal and most people are not aware of it. It appears you are able to perceive this affect better than other people.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.

Edited by Dr. James on 1/1/2010 at 9:34 PM EST