Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

I have had floaters and bright red flash spots in my left eye

I have had floaters and bright red flash spots in my left eye 2 nights ago, disappeared yesterday, came back last night, red flash gone but floaters left. I am worried sick. What could it be? No headache, vision seems ok. Do I need emergency care asap?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Looks like you have had a posterior vitreous detachment(PVD) in which the gel in the back of the eye gets detached during which it can cause slight traction on the retina which in turn gives rise to symptoms like flashes of light. This is a harmless condition seen in the older age group and requires no treatment.

There are other two causes for floaters and flashes of light i.e. migraine and retinal tear. Migraine is associated with or without severe headache. Retinal tear is more commonly seen in high myopes and diabetic individuals.

It is more likely that you have had a PVD. But still you can undergo a retinal examination to rule out a retinal tear.

Please feel free to contact me for any clarifications. Clicking "ACCEPT" button pays me for my work. BONUS and POSITIVE FEED BACK are very much appreciated.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks.I will se a doctor asap after the week end.