Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

my eyes are constantly red. my eye doctor says its due to

Customer Question

my eyes are constantly red. my eye doctor says its due to overuse of allergy eye drops that "get the red out", and that the blood vessels in my eyes are suffering a rebound effect. Basically, I am stuck with red eyes for life. Is that true?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.

In the first place the cause of the redness of your eyes should have been established. Yes it is true that excessive use of drugs can itself cause various effects in the eyes including redness. Maybe preservative free lubricating eye drops like refresh tears can help. As you are apprehensive of using any further medications you may as well be off drugs to your eyes and wait for the rebound congestion of the eyes to regress over a period of time say a couple of weeks.

Most of the eye preparations contain preservatives like benzalkonium chloride which can incite rebound congestion of the eyes ( ocular medicamentosa). The treatment for this is to stop using the medication and wait for the congestion to reduce.

I hope your doubts are clarified.

Please feel free to contact me for any clarifications. Clicking "ACCEPT" button pays me for my work. BONUS and POSITIVE FEED BACK are very much appreciated.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

REGARDING MESSAGE RECEIVED (see below), AND PREVIOUS MESSAGE RECEIVED FROM DR. DESAI, I AM NOT USING ANY MEDICATIONS NOW OR SINCE I FOUND OUT ABOUT REBOUND AFFECT.

SECOND, I WOULD LIKE TO RESPOND TO THE EXPERT AGAIN TO SAY THAT THE INFO I WAS SENT WAS SIMILAR TO SOMETHING I'D ALREADY RESEARCHED AND FOUND FOR MYSELF. I JUST WONDERED IF THERE WAS SOMETHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE HELPFUL OR AM I REALLY STUCK WITH THE "RED EYE" FOR LIFE. IT'S BEEN LIKE THIS FOR QUITE SOME TIME NOW.

Thank you for your message. When a customer doesn't receive a helpful answer we encourage them to respond to the Expert and tell them why the answer wasn't helpful. This will accomplish two things: 1) the Expert will work on a better answer and 2) other Experts will be aware that you are still waiting for a helpful answer and they may respond. Here is the link to the questions you have asked:

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

I am another eye expert on this site and would like to help. First a few questions.

Do you have dry eyes?
When did you start the "get the red out" eye drops?
What other medical problems do you have?
How long have you been off any eye drops?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NO, I DON'T HAVE DRY EYES. I BEGAN USING THE EYE DROPS A FEW YEARS AGO BECAUSE OF ALLERGY-ITCHY RED EYES.

I HAVE USED VISINE AND CLEAR EYES.

I DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER MEDICAL PROBLEMS (ACCORDING TO MY DOCTOR) AND I HAVE BEEN OFF THE EYE DROPS FOR OVER A YEAR.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Since you have been off those eye drops for a year, the redness you are seeing is your baseline. The most common cause of eye redness is dry eyes, even if you don't feel they are dry. You should first address this cause by using preservative free eye drops 4-6 times a day.

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon