Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I just got my eyes examined, and I was told that I have 20/400,

I just got my eyes examined, and I was told that I have 20/400, yes 400. I also have a hemmorage in my right eye which is the one with 400 vision. I'm going to see a specialist as soon as they have an opening, but until then and waiting for my glasses, I'm just worried that the damage is done. Does this mean my right eye is going blind? Don't spare me I can take the truth.
Thank you
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

Hi Michelle

what is your age ? what is the vision in the other eye? How long have you noticed the poor vision? were you told why the hemorrhage is there? are you diabetic?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm 44, and since I turned 40 i have needed glasses, all in my family are like that. No I'm not diabetic, I have HbP, which is what he told me was the cause. 20 is the other vision in my left eye. I'm getting two sets, one for the outside and one for the inside, due to lighting, and sun.

Hello again Michelle

there are few things possible in a 44 year old that can cause bleeding in the eye. It may be related to high blood pressure but typically that affects both eyes. More likely you have retinal bleeding due to a choroidal neovascular membrane and these can be treated and often vision can improve. So it is likely that there is some room for improvement. I am not trying to sugar coat it but without more info, it is real hard to provide a prognosis for your situation. I wish you a happy new year, Dr. Stevens

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You Dr Steven you have a Happy New Year too.
I understand about the way you could answer, I'll know more once I see the surgeon.

Yes, a retina specialist will be able to give you a very good idea on prognosis pretty easily. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens

Please do press accept if you found the answer helpful, Regards