Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

For the last 6 hours I have been seeing an arc of light flashing

For the last 6 hours I have been seeing an arc of light flashing at random periodicity in the peripheral vision of my left eye especially when I look in that direction. I have never experienced this before. I also have a dull frontal headache and a stiff neck. What should I do? I am 51 years old and have hypertension and I am obese.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 7 years ago.

Flashes of light can indicate an irritation of the retina, or posterior vitreous detachment or as a visual aura in classic migraine.

A detailed examination of the retina for any retinal hole or tear has to be done and if present they can be sealed with lasers.

As for now you can take an analgesic like tab. Paracetamol 500 mg to relieve the pain. Tab sibelium 10 mg once daily helps to prevent migraine attacks.

I hope your doubts are clarified.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already read on the internet this and other possible causes and I gather the one you mention are the most common, but is there anything in my history that I have given you to tell you whether these are the most likely diagnoses for me?

Migraine is associated with severe headache and sometimes nausea,vomiting along with visual aura like flashes of light. As you do have headache with flash of light this condition is most likely.

The other condition ie retinal hole or tear is more common in myopes and diabetic individuals ( not suggestive in your history ) . But it is better to rule these only after a detailed fundus examination.

Dr.A.S.Desai
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had a bad cold for the last week and the neck ache has been going for three days. The headache is only mild. Aren't migraine's really bad headaches?
Hello ,

Yes strictly speaking migraine causes very severe headache. But there are instances of migraines where the headache is not so significant as in migraine sine migraine.

I hope your doubts are clarified.

Dr A.S.Desai