Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

The inner corner of my right eye has turned really red and

Customer Question

The inner corner of my right eye has turned really red and there is a small red bump, which is also itchy. It's been almost 2 days now. I tried rinsing with warm water but while there is some relief it doesn't go away. What can it be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Painful swelling of the lid of short duration of 2 days is more indicative of a hordeolum of the lid ( external type is commonly called as stye). This requires a course of oral antibiotics, oral analgesics like paracetamol 500mg twicw a day, hot fomentation to give relief from pain. With this treatment it subsides within 3-4 days.

If there is no significant swelling of the lid margin and only the inner end looks swollen then the itching could be due to allergic conjunctivitis. This can be treated with a short course of steroid eye drops and mast cell stabilizer eye drops.

A visit to your ophthalmologist will confirm this. In the meanwhile please continue with hot compresses and oral analgesics.

I hope your doubts are clarified.

Please feel free to contact me for any clarifications. Clicking "ACCEPT" button pays me for my work. BONUS and POSITIVE FEED BACK are very much appreciated.

Dr A.S.Desai

These answers are for information purpose only and cannot be substituted for a check-up and visit to an ophthalmologist.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you but it is not my eyelid that is swollen - it's my eye, near the tearduct. I was cutting my bangs and shortly after, my eye began to hurt.

A small swelling near the tearduct is normal ( inner canthus of the eye). If it is swollen and painful too then it is inflammed and needs oral anti inflammatory tablets . Tab. Paracetamol 500 mg twice a day will give relief.

Any other associated symptoms like excessive watering or whitish discharge from that eye are significant to give a conclusive diagnosis.

What were you doing when the pain began?Did you injure your eye??