Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

i have a star on my left eyelid for about four months now,

i have a star on my left eyelid for about four months now, i have compress it with warm water but it is still there and i dont know what to do next
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

I unclear what you mean by "start". Can you give more details on it?
Does it hurt?
What was it injected with?
Any change in vision?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my eye docter gave me an antibiotics called BLEPHAMIDE, I WAS ALSO TOLD TO COMPRESS THE EYE WITH WARM WATER WHICH I HAVE BEEN DOING,ABOUT A MONTH AGO SHE GAVE AN INJECTION ON THE AFFECTED SPOT AND IT WENT DOWN FOR LIKE A WEEK BUT IT HAS COME BACK AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO TO AGAIN.MY VISION IS NORMAL
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

What you are describing is likely a chalazion. This occurs when oil glands in your eyelids get blocked, very similar to a pimple. Treatment is to apply warm compresses to the area 3-4 times a day. This helps to soften the blocked oils and allows it to self drain.

If it has been there for sometime, however, the material may be too hard to drain on its own, as in your case. The treatment at this point would be incision and drainage of that lesion. This is easily done in the office under local anesthetic. Talk to your doctor about this procedure.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Edited by Dr. James on 12/23/2009 at 10:15 PM EST