Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery

in the last 2 months my 81 year old husband has been closing

in the last 2 months my 81 year old husband has been closing one eye to read while wearing his bifocals. He went back to the eye doctor twice and he said it was not the new glasses. My husband says that if he keeps both eyes open it is bleary. His distant vision does not appear to be effected.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 6 years ago.

Let me ask a few questions in order to better assist you,

1. Does your husband suffer from any medical conditions?
2. Taking any medications?
3. Does he suffer from any eye conditions?
4. Has he ever had eye surgery?
5. Is there any double vision while reading that goes away when he closes the eye?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My husband has Type 2 Diabetes, but the eye doctor said in September when he had a refracted exam that his retna and the inside of his eye looked fine. He takes medication called Welclor (I think) for diabetes and cholesterol. He also takes a blood pressure medication as a preventive for his kidneys. However, he has never had high blood pressure. He had cataract surgery, both eyes, in his early seventies. Before that he had double vision.
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 6 years ago.
Blurry vision at near while having both eyes open that resolves when one eye is closed could be related to poor convergence. Convergence is the slight inward movement of both eyes when looking close-up. In diabetics, one can find poor convergence when the patient has had a diabetic microvascular event. Diabetic microvascular accidents happen when there is poor circulation to a nerve that controls one of the eye muscles. This causes the muscle to not work well in certain situations. Now, the good news is that, in almost every case the muscle goes back to its normal function 3 to 4 months after the symptoms are first noticed.

One can have this situation even with no evidence of diabetes in the retina. The only way to know if this is the problem would be to have his eye doctor carefully evaluate his eye movements

Of course, my answer assumes that the glasses are indeed made correctly as stated by the eye doctor.

I hope this is helpful and feel free to ask any follow questions you may have...