Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

My mum had an operation on 4th Sept. She still feels as if

My mum had an operation on 4th Sept. She still feels as if discomfort in the eye. The drops she has been given by Gp does't help. The consultant at the hospital says the operation is a success so why is she still having problems.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

hello there

what type of surgery did she have ? How is the vision ? what are her symptoms? when are they worse? when are they better ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She had a catrat operation. Her vision is a lot better than before but she keeps on feeling as if ther is something in her eye. I think the feelig is like when your contact lens does not sit properly and you get watery eyes. She has constantly watery eyes and also looks red at times.

hello there

depending on the type of incision, she may be feeling the healing edge of the incision (wound). This is normal even in perfect surgery and can take a few weeks to go away. You did say she had surgery 3 months ago, and I suspect she now is feeling symptoms of dry eye or perhaps a low grade lid infection we call blepharitis. This is a common cause of morning irritation because it is thought that the debris on the lashes is rubbed into the surface of the eye during sleep (pillow may play a role). As a result, eyes are irritated upon awakening. In contrast, people with dry eyes feel great in the morning and bad at the end of the day.

Blepharitis is an infection of the lids and lashes. Common findings in someone with blepharitis can range from subtle collections of yellow colored debris or flakes on the lashes to not so subtle crusting, clumping on lashes, red eyelid borders with thickening of the lids and oil gland orifices.

The treatment consists of 3 things and must be done consistently for effective control and cure.

First, you take a warm wash cloth or warm compress and lay it across your lids for 5 minutes (heat must be applied for 5 mins). This helps the oil glands get moving again and helps losen up the debris on the lashes.

Next you take some baby shampoo and mix it with water (50/50) and use a wash cloth to rub across and cleanse the skin and lashes. This helps remove the debris.

Last, you apply antibiotic ointment, like erythromycin ophthalmic ointment to the base of the lashes.

This regimen helps get rid of or control the infection in about 2 weeks. She may try this without the antibiotic ointment first, but may need to talk to her doctor for a prescription for the erythromycin ophthalmic ointment if your symptoms do not resolve fully.

I hope this helps, this condition is a nuisance for many people and until the diagnosis is made, it can lead to lots of irritation and discomfort.

I wish your mom well, Dr. Stevens