Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

just went to the optician and he found a small grey shadow

just went to the optician and he found a small grey shadow in the back of my eye after taking a photo, he has sent a letter to my doctor for me to be seen at the eye specialists, what could it be.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Were the grey shadow in one or both eyes?

How is your overall vision on both eyes?

Any family history of eye problem from child hood?

I await your reply. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just in my left eye, and he told me today i need glasses i am long sighted, and there is no history of problem from childhood, and i feel fine in myself
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I understand your anxiety and worry, but you do not need to worry.

The grey shadows or sometimes brown/dark in the back of the eye is generally a non-harmful mole or nevus in the eyes. It is a common finding is a significant percentage of the population. They do not (rarely) turn into a problem like cancer, and do not affect vision. However, it is recommended that you make effort to wear good UV protective sunglasses. Even so direct exposure to sunlight for decades will be necessary to affect it. Depending on where the gray shadow or mole is located, the type, size and location will help the doctor classify and monitor it in the future.

The evaluation by the eye doctor could includes the following:

1. Determine the location, size, exact color, shape or any other characteristics

2. Perform at complete eye examination with dilation to ensure no other sign of abnormality.

3. Take picture of the gray shadow or nevus/mole to allow the future comparison of the size and any change in shape, color

4. The doctor may perform ultrasound and OCT if necessary to better understand the characteristics of the gray shadow or mole.

In general, the gray shadow or mole which are located at the back of the eye, it are either a choroidal nevus or congenital retinal nevus. They are common, and not harmful. The reason the optician is referring you to the ophthalmologist is due to the established medical protocol - which required that eye mole or gray shadow be evaluated by the trained eye specialist (Ophthalmological retina specialist) to record the initial characteristics of the gray shadow or mole. The optician as you know is not officially trained nor certified to evaluate and treat such eye conditions, but only certified to fit glasses. However, with experience the optician can at least recognize moles because eye moles are very common among the population.

So, I suggest that you do not worry - you mostly likely have the regular common mole. Please, keep your appointment with the eye doctor so that the gray shadow or mole can be properly evaluated and size noted.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please be free to ask and further question for clarification.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon