Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Ive worn contacts for almost ten years without any issues.

I've worn contacts for almost ten years without any issues. I wear bi-weeklys and throw them out every two weeks. I do not sleep in them and I will occasionally take a day to just let my eyes "breathe" by not wearing my contacts. I've had eye allergies for years and that's a minor problem. Some drops and claritan/benedryl and I'm fine.

But lately I've been having an issue. I often feel like I have something in my eye. Sometimes upon closer inspection there is absolutely nothing there but other times I find this white gunk floating on my eye. Sometimes it's stringy and others it's like a blob a little smaller than an undialated pupil. The trouble started in my right eye but has moved to my left. The right seems fine now. My eyes are not try - they have always teared quite easily thanks to my blue eyes.

I thought I had blepharitis and treated that with eyelid wipes but the issue has persisted.

What could I have?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

What brand contact lenses do you wear?
Does the mucous happens only when wearing the contact lenses?
When did this problem start?
Has your eye doctor ever flipped your upper eyelids and looked under them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. Accuvane Oasis

2. No, it can happen without the contacts in

3. A few months ago

4. No

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

The stringy material you see is mucous produced in response to dryness. You can have dry irritated eyes even if your eyes are "wet". Let me explain. Your tears are composed of three layers (mucous, watery layer, and oil layer). Each layer helps to coat the eyes.

Of the 3 layers, the oil layer is most often deficient. Oils are produced by glands embedded in the eyelids and can get clogged up in blepharitis. Warm compresses to the eyelids help to soften the plugged oil glands. The eyelid wipes help to remove debris from the bases of the eyelashes. In the meantime, you need to prevent the irritation with frequence use of artificial tears (4-6 times day). If you are wearing contact lenses, you can buy the ones for contact lenses.

Since the mucous or watery layer are normal, you can have an over production of these two things when you eyes get irritated. In some people, there can be irritation related to the contact lenses themselves. To look for this, ask your eye doctor to flip your upper eyelids and look for any signs irritation.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon