Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

OFF & ON, SEEING RED OR GREEN SPOTS, APPROX THE SIZE OF A CHR

Customer Question

OFF & ON, SEEING RED OR GREEN SPOTS, APPROX THE SIZE OF A CHRISYMAS TREE BULB. THEY BLINK & MOVE FROM PLACE THEN, DISAPPEAR.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Do you have any floaters or flashes of light in your vision?

Do you have any history of migraine?

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

It looks like you have a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change. Usually, people get it at a younger age. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it may cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear. Another possibility could be an ocular migraine which may or may not be followed by headache. If you have a history of migraines then it is more likely as it may be associated with it. You should get a fundus examination done by an ophthalmologist which is likely to establish the diagnosis. Thanks.

Follow-up questions, if any, are most welcome.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

as i explained, the retinologist, who has examined his eyes, said there is no tear and that his retina is healthy. also, he has not had ant headaches

please respond as your answer does not address our problem

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

I did not say that a tear is definitely there. The symptoms may be due to posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change. It causes taer only occasionally. Usually, it does not and then it is not a cause of concern. If your retina specialist found the retina healthy then there should not be a cause of concern. Hope this helps.