Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

is there a treatment for Aphakia

Customer Question

is there a treatment for Aphakia
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

Hello there

answer is it depends...what is your situation ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Dr.Stevens,

Thanks for the response.

At the age of 5 a small piece of stick went into my right eye. Doctor's performed operation to deal with injury. I can still see from right eye but it is very shady, like there is dark screen in front of it. I can read newspaper headline using lenses with +8 power with that eye. I can identify colors as well.

We didn't had enough options during those days, so I am trying to find out if something can be done now. Can you please also let me know how much it will cost and whether there are any side effects/restrictions to the cure.

My left eye is functioning well with no issues.

You have a couple of options since the vision is improved with +8 lens. One is to get fitted with a contact lens. This is the easiest and least expensive method costing in the range of a few hundred dollars total. Second option is to get an intra-ocular lens inserted into the eye. Depending on the amount of damage, this may be less likely or unsafe. An exam with a cataract surgeon will help further investigate these 2 options. Laser procedure to reshape the cornea is yet a 3rd option though I suspect the level of correction may be beyond what is safe to perform. I hope this helps, Dr. Stevens
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Dr. Stevens
you are so welcome, regards XXXXX