Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery

I have 1 eye that has had a swollen lid for a couple of weeks-no

Customer Question

I have 1 eye that has had a swollen lid for a couple of weeks-no pain or redness. Now I think the eyeball is a little swollen but I may be freaking myself out. To look in the mirror, 1 eye looks bigger than the other. Do I start with my medical Dr. or an eye Dr.? Or is there something to try at home since there is no pain or vision problems at this time?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 6 years ago.

Let me ask a few questions in order to better assist you:

1. Do you suffer from any medical conditions?
2. Do you take any medications?
3. Are you allergic to any medications?
4. Have you had a cold recently?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no medical conditions

take no meds

Have a cold now that manifested 3 days ago

Expert:  Dr. JLB replied 6 years ago.

Given the information provided, I would encourage that you visit an eye doctor at your earliest convenience. I would not consider this an emergency but I would look into it soon...

The reason for my recommendation stems from the need to rule out any process that may be taking place behind the globe. A swollen eyelid alone would not be of great concern as this may be an acute allergic or infectious process that can frequently resolve spontaneously. However, the finding of proptosis (outward bulging of the globe) should definitely be closely examined by an ophthalmologist.

Some of the most common conditions causing proptosis are:

1. Hyperthyroidism (Grave's disease) - Accelerated function of the thyroid gland

2. Severe Sinusitis - unlikely, given the lack of other symptoms

- Very Rare causes include: Hodgkins lymphoma and Sarcoidosis

I am providing this information in order to educate you... I do not want you to become overly concerned. The key is to obtain a full eye exam that may offer an explanation and most of all some peace of mind...

God Bless and Good luck,