Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

Hi Doctor, Im mylene lao 45 years old from NY. I was awake,

Customer Question

Hi Doctor, I'm mylene lao 45 years old from NY. I was awake, this early am with a stabbing pain in my right eye so I can nnot sleep anymore. My eyes is also teary so I took ibuprofen 400 mg and I self medicate also with prednisone
40 mg to ease the inflammation. It help a little and i was able to sleep but I think it is coming back so I took ibuprofen 400 mg again.
What do I need to do? I'm so afraid I am wearing eyeglasses since I was 11 years old near sighted my glassess now are 600 and 650 for the left eye.I have hypertension but I am taking my medications:metoprolol 100mg,norvasc 5mg and losartan HTz.Thanks a lot
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Few questions to help me assist you:

Is this the first time you experience such eye pain?

What is the cause of low vision in both eyes?

Have you had any eye surgery?

Do you have history of migraine headaches?

I await your reply. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr this is the first time I experienced eye pain so I'm worried because in med schooll there are eye diseases associated with eye pain that I already forgot.

As to my vision it it's high because it is 600 and 650 for the left eye. I'm wearing eyeglassess near sighted since 11 years old and sometime wear contact lense.

But when i went here to USA I'm not using contact lenses anymore.

I dont have migraine hedahces nor eye surgery.

My headache is when I'm having hypertension but as of this week my BP is normal at 125/80. Thank you very much hope to hear from you soon.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

I will send you reply later.

Do not reply this message.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Doctor,
Do I need to have tonometry? until this time pain didnt change even if I
took ibuprofen 400mg 2x already.
Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

As you stated, your previous headaches has been associated with transient increase in your BP, but today your BP and is normal, it's then likely that the current stabbing right eye pain could be due to cornea nerve irritation from severe dryness and/or increase eye pressure from chronic use of prednisone (a risk for the ocular hypertension and glaucoma).

Clear eyes drop is notorious for causing dry cornea. I would suggest that you stop using it, instead use preservative free tear drop (i.e. Refresh Plus or Genteal), one drop in each eye as needs to keep your cornea moisted. More importantly, if this fails to resolved by tomorrow, then I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for check of intraocular pressure and dilatated eye exam, especially as you are near sighted (myopic) and at risk for retinal problem.

In addition, I would suggest that you used Zaditor (OTC) non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drop twice daily in the right eye to soothe the ache and pain, instead of the oral ibuprofen which can not only affect you BP, but can contribute to chronic analgesia induced headache.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi doctor, I just use the prednison and the eye dropd once just today.
Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
You are welcomed. Thank you.

DO NOT PRESS THE ACCEPT BUTTON AGAIN, AS YOU ALREADY DID ONCE.