Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

healthy female..my left eye was really blurry (looks..Ophthalmologist

Customer Question

I’m a 34 year old healthy female. Last Tuesday the right side of my left eye was really blurry (looks like I’m looking through a cloud). Wednesday went to an Ophthalmologist (MD) said the good news is he couldn’t fine anything wrong and the bad news is he couldn’t find anything wrong. Said my retina was fine has scheduled a vision field test this Wednesday, however it appears the cloudiness has gotten worse in my left eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Do you wear contacts?

Medications?

Any recent cold/flu symptoms?

History of allergy?

Is the eye tearing? red?

Any family history of glaucoma?

Any headaches? migraines?

Has his ever happened to you before?

I await you reply. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I wear contacts I take propranolol for high blood pressure and loestrin for birth control and Allegra for allergies. I haven't had the cold or flu however I've been having severe ear pain for two months,my GP said was because of my wisdom tooth went to the dentist to have cavities filled etc but the pain remained. Went back to my GP last week and he gave me an antibiotic because he noticed fluid in my ear but he wasn't sure if I had an infection (I didn't have a fever or anything like that). As far as I know there has been no history of glaucoma in my family. I usually have migraines but have not had any migraines or headaches for the past month. No this has never happened before.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

It appears that you experienced a temporary cornea/tear film changes with cornea irritation from either contact lens proteins and/or infiltrates or cornea dryness, which subsequently has cleared. Your history of allergy on Allegra and propranolol for BP, and the recent pain experiences put you at risk of altered cornea tear film, especially with your contacts. With the contact in place, there is often a need for good tear film coverage between the back of the contact and cornea, any disruption of the even uniform film, either by eye irritation (due to transient change in tear product-which pain can cause), can result in sectoral dryness and hence cloudy vision in the affected area. This will often resolve, usually between changing the contact and/or use of tear drops to keep the eye moist. So, I would recommend that you start using preservative free tear drops (i.e. Refresh plus or Genteal), 1 drop into each eye as needed. This would be really helpful to you considering that you are using propranolol and allegra, both of which can cause mild dry eyes sensation.

Regarding the scheduled visual field testing, I suggest that you discuss with your doctor how badly you need to do that done at the moment, except if the doctor is concerned about undetected glaucoma or nerve problem due to other unknown events. You should feel free to share this information with your doctor.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you this helps put me at ease
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much. It was a pleasure assisting you.

Please, do not press the accept button a second time as you already did before.