Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

CAN OCUBITE (apparently the new vit.treatment) be prescribed

CAN OCUBITE (apparently the new vit.treatment) be prescribed by a G.P.and would you recommend it for someone on BetaBlockers treatment for early Glaucoma .That or Vits.A & E for instance ?
QWould you say that a Private eye specialist is a Public Hosp.Eye Dept.(which is cheaper & they have more equipment)
Thanks- A.B.

I would go with Beta blockers and not with Ocuvite. If your eye pressure is elevated, it has to be brought down for which you need pressure lowering drugs like Beta blockers and not anti-oxidants like Ocuvite. There have been studies showing anti-oxidants reducing oxidative stress in patients with glaucoma but there have been reports which did not. In any case, if pressure is raised it has to be brought down by anti-glaucoma drugs like Beta blockers or Prostaglandins analogues. If you have problems with Beta blockers, you may go for Prostaglandin analogues after discussing it with your doctor. Never get yourself treated by a g.p. for something like glaucoma. You have to see an ophthalmologist. As far as going to a private doctor or public hospital is concerned, both can be good or bad. You have to see the competence of the doctor concerned and the facilities available. Thanks.

Follow-up questions, if any, are welcome.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.