Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

Can you help to heal Wet Macular Degeneration with Herbs, Mineral

Customer Question

Can you help to heal Wet Macular Degeneration with Herbs, Minerals and Vitamins
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 6 years ago.

There has been no definitive studies or data to show that anything can reverse wet macular degeneration. Unfortunately, herbal supplements have not been thoroughly studied in this area. In the case of vitamins and minerals, there is a study (AREDS) that showed that Vitamins A, C, E and zinc and copper did slow down the progression for dry macular degeneration (the effects on wet macular degeneration is not known). The AREDS II studies are underway right now.

What I tell my patients is that it wouldn't hurt to take the AREDS formula, along with lutein and xeazanthin. As far as scientific evidence though, it is not there yet.

I hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply does it mean I need to hunt around for these ingrediants perhaps from a health shop