Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

i am very near sighted and at risk of retinal detachment. Recently

i am very near sighted and at risk of retinal detachment. Recently seen an eye surgeon and eyes ok at the moment but he could not explain what the spinning circles I see every now and then in my peripheral vision that last about 5 - 10 seconds every time and mostly noticed when driving home in the dark.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.

hello there

describe the spinning circles? are they bright or dark spots? are they like flashing lights ? are they only when driving ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bright circles. Flashing spinning for a few seconds. I get them at times during day but more noticeable at night.

Hello again

You are having what we call photopsias. The back of the eyeball is full of a gel called vitreous. This gel is intimately attached to the retina and as we age, this gel liquifies, shrinks and pulls away from the retina. The separation of the gel from the retina causes flashes of light to be seen, often off to the side in an arc pattern. If there is a weak spot in your retina, the gel may cause a tear to be formed. This vitreous separation or detachment can take weeks to complete and folks can experience your symptoms for months (rarely). You need to be seen right away if you get new floaters, or a significant increase in the frequency of flashes as this may indicate a retinal tear. Hope this helps.

Dr. Stevens