Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

my left eye is half closed and irritated by something.My right

Customer Question

my left eye is half closed and irritated by something.My right eye is ok,been to the eye Dr. twice now.He gave me Elestat does not work.All he says is I have a eye irritation, and see him next year Thanks Elona
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Few questions to help me assist you:

Is the half of the left eye vision 100% with no vision or it is blurred and foggy?

Is the eye red?

Any floaters or flashes?

How long has this been going on?

Do you wear contact?

Have you had any eye surgery before?

Do you have any previous cornea or other eye problem?

Are you diabetic? glaucoma? High blood pressure? macular degeneration?

Did you loss vision in the left eye suddenly?

I await your reply. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No vision lost at all---A little red---no floaters or flashes---2 months----no contacts--cataract surgery april 2007----no previous cornea---no diabetic ect.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

It appears that you have mild conjunctivitis with partial cornea irritation on the left eye. Following eye irritation and even use of visine (which contains cornea irritating preservative) the cornea tear film can be altered causing reduced or changes in focusing.

In addition, with your history of cataract surgery, it may be possible that you have developed a film (often common months to few years after cataract surgery with intraocular lens). If this is the case, the eye doctor can detect it after a good dilated eye examination and carefully looking into back of the lens implant, and use laser in the office to focus on it an zap it - with no pain to be felt by you. Should this was already done in the past, it re-evaluate for ones not previously removed.

However, it is most likely that your problem is due the mild conjunctivitis with cornea tear film disturbance. To that end, I suggest that you stop using the visine, stop the elastat - instead contain Thera Tears (without any preservative), and the add Zaditor (OTC) non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drop (1 drop twice daily in the affected eye for 1 week, in between the use of Thera Tears 4 times daily) with action against ocular conjunctivitis. If not resolved after 1 week, I suggest that you follow-up again with the doctor for closer evaluation for the possibility of the above mentioned film on the back of your intraocular lens in the left eye.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
why didn't my doc. who is Cary Silvermam ...East Hanover N J.......tell me this...Thanks Elona
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

It was important for me to ask detailed questions and then carefully analyze the problem. I have a lot of experience with such problems. Please, feel free to share this discussion with your doctor.

I'm confident that your will do well with the steps I have outlined for you. May God bless.

It was a pleasure to assist you.