Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I work up Friday with an itchy right eye. Later in the day

Customer Question

I work up Friday with an itchy right eye. Later in the day it started to water, burn and itch. By evening it was swollen and a thick mucous discharge was coming from my eye. Saturday morning I work up with the same in my left eye. All day yesterday my eyes have burned, itched and the mucous is still there. The only relief I have is by placing a cold compress over my eyes but as soon as I remove it, the itch and discharge comes back. Should I be concerned and what is it?

Thanks you, Dorothy
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The discharge is suggestive of infection. It could be conjunctivitis. It may be bacterial or viral. You should use an anti-biotic eye drop like Vigamox 3-4 times a day. At bedtime, you can use an anti-biotic eye ointment. Another possibility is allergy or dryness in your eyes but discharge goes against them. You can see an ophthalmologist to confirm the diagnosis. Thanks.

Follow-up questions, if any, are welcome.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Will try to see my opthomologist tomorow.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
You are most welcome.