Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

under right eye swollen...doesnt look like a sty...could it

under right eye swollen...doesnt look like a sty...could it be tear duct gland blockage or infection and can fnl (which i have a tube left from a similar situation over a year ago) be helpful?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

Where exactly is the swelling ? is it red? is it tender? do you have any tearing ? how long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

noticed some swelling about 24 hours ago...not red, just swelling like baggy eyes...the swelling looks like it has moved a bit lower than it was before?

Hello there

just a couple more questions please so I get this right...is there any tearing ? any pain ? it is only one eye ? is that by any chance the side you sleep on ? any thyroid issues?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no tearing, no pain, under right eye and no chance of it just my sleeping on it and no thyroid issues ever....i did have a similar occurence a little over a year ago but with the left eye...that is why I have some fnl oitment handy...

Great, thanks for the reply. Acutely, styes are tender and red so this is not it. Blocked tear ducts typically cause tearing since the tear duct takes the tears away from the eyeball and can be very tender. It is still possible that this is the issue, but unlikely. Most likely, I suspect that there is some dependent edema, meaning simple swelling from either irritation or allergy. The floromethalone (fml) is simply a steroid which helps with these sorts of issues. In this case I would suggest using the fml and applying cool compresses which will also reduce the edema. This should be done two times a day and should the swelling not improve in a couple of days, I suggest getting it checked by your eye doctor. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens