Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

help i am seeing flashes of light in my peripheral vision in

help i am seeing flashes of light in my peripheral vision in one eye following a blow to the eye a couple of days ago. the symptoms are experienced sporadically especially when i'm on my computer. please note i am in the sun a lot.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

how is the vision ? are you seeing any new floaters? what kind of trauma did you suffer ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i am not seeing any floaters. I was hit by a chain in the eye when attempting to remove a probe from a charged water main at my job. please note that the trauma occured a week ago but i noticed symptoms only about 3 nights ago. It only occurs while i am looking at the computer screen.

Hello there

You are having what we call photopsias. The back of the eyeball is full of a gel called vitreous. This gel is intimately attached to the retina and trauma can cause it to pull away from the retina. The separation of the gel from the retina causes flashes of light to be seen, often off to the side in an arc pattern. If there is a weak spot in your retina, the gel may cause a tear to be formed. You should get your eyes examined in the next week or two to make sure there is no retinal tear. You need to be seen much sooner if you get new floaters, or a significant increase in the frequency of flashes as this may indicate a retinal tear. Hope this helps.

Dr. Stevens

Ophthalmologist