Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

pressure in my left eye was 17 yesterday

n these 2 problems be connected. The pressure in my left eye was 17 yesterday.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Can you tell me what two problems you are referring to?
How long have you been on omnipred and vigamox?
Why were these two medicines prescribed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The medicine where prescribed last week. My eye doctor thinks the problem has something to do with my buckle from 1974. for my detach retina. So i want to know if the polycythemia i now have could be increasing the blood in my eye and causing irritation where my bulkle is located?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the reply.

Can you tell me what problems you are specifically having with your eyes?
Pain, redness?
Double vision?
Change in vision?
Any problems with your retina currently?
Any recent surgery?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
red, severe pain no change in vision 20/200 since detachment in 1974
no problems with retina just a lot of scare tissue. The pain is where you can feel parts of the buckle. It is not a throbbing pain but constant pain. This has happened 4 times this year, The only other problem is they have removed 9 pints of blood from me because of the polycythemia.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. The problems you are having with your eyes are unlikely related to the polycythemia. It is more likely related to the buckle itself causing irritation to the eye.

PCV (polycythemia vera) can cause the blood to be thicker and cause a sluggishness of the blood flow to the retina, but that should not cause the severe pain you are having since the buckle irritation is more likely. To test for the blood flow in the retina, you can ask your doctor if he's done or can consider a test called a fluoroscein angiogram. This is where dye is injected in your arm veins and pictures taken of your eyes to track how well the blood (dye) flows through the blood vessels.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon