Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

Three and a half weeks ago I caught a stye infection from my

Three and a half weeks ago I caught a stye infection from my 4 year old cousin. I am 58. Went to the Opthomoligist and he gave me Tobramycin eye drops and Doxycycline antibiotics for 2 weeks. The eye has been half clear for about 12 days. The outside is no longer swollen nor draining. Inside the lid is still an inflamed area with a small bump. I clearly see that it has not improved inside the lid so I went back again on Thursday. The doctor gave me Cephalexin and Neomycin eye drops.
My cousin had ORSA (Oxicillin) resistant staph. I am sure that is what I have. I believe that once again I am on the wrong medication after conferring with my pharmacist. He said that Cephalexin has beta blockers that are somewhat resistant to Oxicillin. I am looking for a correct antibiotic to clear my staph infection.
Now my eye is bloodshot and sore from all of the tea bags I have been putting on it.
Can you please tell me a proper antibiotic that is not Oxicillin resistant.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Hello vischilling,

It looks that you have got a chalazion and not a stye. Chalazion in most of the cases does not go like this. To treat it a very minor surgery has to be done called incision and curretage. Chalazion is usually painless and near the lid margin. It can be on the inner or outer surface of the lid. Warm compresses initially may help but now that it is three and half weeks old, you should better go for this surgery which is done as an OPD procedure. The redness in the eyes could be because of the eye drops and tea bags that you have been putting. You can confirm the diagnosis by seeing an ophthalmologist. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I asked the doctor if it were a Chalazion and he said no. It is a bacterial infection as I stated below. My question is what antibiotics are Oxacillin resistant for the eye????
Please see my initial request.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

I am still in favour of chalazion. However ORSA may be treated with newer anti-biotics as linezolid or older ones like vancomycin. In my opinion you should visit your ophthalmologist again. Now, I believe the picture is very much favouring a chalazion and you may not require these anti-biotics. Thanks.

Follow-up questions, if any, are welcome.