Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

last night for about 20 min i had a jagged line appear in both

last night for about 20 min i had a jagged line appear in both eyes, It was colorful, it moved off to the left and was gone I had no other symtoms with it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Do you suffer from migraines?

Do you have any floaters or flashes of light in your vision?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i do get headaches at least 1 per week, not severe
I do also have floaters, with this jagged line last night, there was some flashing.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

It looks like you have a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it amy cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear. The other possibility is ocular migraines which may or may not be followed by a headache. I hope, it helps. Thanks.

Follow-up questions, if any, are most welcome.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have had the floaters checked by a dr. i see an ophthalmologist every six months, because i am a glaucoma suspect. my presure are borderline and my dad has glaucoma. i do not show any other symptoms. I am mostly concerned about the strange line that appeared and stayed for 20 mins.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

The strange line that you are talking about could be because of ocular migraine. The presentation in this condition is variable. In glaucoma, colored halos may be seen around lights at night time. Your symptoms are not suggestive of that. In posterior vitreous detacment, floaters and flashes of light may be seen. In my opinion, ocular migraine is most likely. Ocular migraines are more common in people with migraines. To read more about this condition, you can follow this link -

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine.htm. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any more questions?