Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

hi there, I have had my left eye go blurry about 3 weeks ago

Customer Question

hi there,
I have had my left eye go blurry about 3 weeks ago now, i would say that in the 3 weeks since i had my optometrist run tests etc, that I have only had 1 day where i thought it was a little better. They ran all tests that they normally do, over 2 days, including photo of the eye, & dilating the pupil, they cant seem to pinpoint what it could possbly be - in there own words, there is nothing obvious. The eye is constantly blurry, the right eye seems totally normal' Any help would be appreciated, regards, Pete
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Have you seen just an optometrist or an ophthalmologist as well?

Do you have diabetes or are you on any medications?

Do you have floaters or flashes of light in your vision?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi there, I have only seen the optometrist, he asked me to see how it went with eyedrops, saying it could just be "dry eye" No diabetes & i am not on any medication.

I have always had a couple of floaters ever since i can remember, no flashes of light that I can think of, although have not been looking out for such a thing. Hope this helps, Pete

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

You should see an ophthalmologist for a definite diagnosis. Your symptoms can be because of dryness. You can use a lubricating eye drop like Refresh Tears 3-4 times a day. Dryness could be because of meibomitis or blepharitis. The basic cause needs to be treated. Also a fundus examination by an ophthalmologist is needed. You could have developed a posterior vitreous detachment which is an age related change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies and shrinks. This may cause development of floaters in your eye. Due to the pull on the retina, as the vitreous shrinks there may be flashes of light as well. Usually, it goes uneventful but sometimes a retinal tear may occur which can lead to retinal detachment and loss of vision. So, it is important to get a dilated fundus examination by an ophthalmologist done. I hope that helps.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Follow-up questions, if any, are most welcome.