Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

what can cause redness of my eyes and swelling around my e

what can cause redness of my eyes and swelling around my eyes
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Hello Customer,

How long have you been having these problems?

Are both eyes involved?

Is the vision affected?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had it since Wednesday, 4 days ago now. I also have hadache the right side is a bit painful with a bit of change in vision
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

You could be having glaucoma in the right eye and these symptoms suggest raised eye pressure in the right eye. Symptoms may include redness, blurred vision, watering, photophobia, headache on the affected side(hemicrania) etc. Since, the loss of vision in this condition may be irreversible, you should see an ophthalmologist to rule out/confirm it. You may require pressure lowering drugs. There could be other reasons like uveitis, refractive error etc but glaucoma seems more likely. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not satisfied with your answer as my vision is ok
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Vision may or may not be affected initially in both glaucoma and uveitis. Since, both are serious it is important to rule them out by seeing and ophthalmologist. You could be having just an allergic reaction. Another serious possibility with swelling around the eye is orbital cellulitis which is an ocular emergency and vision may not be affected initially. Since eye is a very sensitive structure you must get an examination to confirm the diagnosis. An examination is very important. I hope you understand. Thanks.