Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

my eyes became..It almost looks like I have a hair floating on my eye

Customer Question

I where contacts and a few days ago my eyes became irrated and I continued to where my contacts. Now I have an image floating in my eye. It almost looks like I have a hair floating on my eye. Did I irratate a blood vessel, or maybe something else? Please let me know what it could be.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

Do you have any floaters or flashes of light in your vision?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes gray spots and a hairline image
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 6 years ago.

It looks like you have a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it amy cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear. A person wearing contact lens can develop contact lens intolerance but your symptoms are not suggestive of that and are very likely to be because of posterior vitreous detachment. Thanks.

Follow-up questions, if any, are most welcome.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.