Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

MY sight is find when I wake up, but as the day goes on It

MY sight is find when I wake up, but as the day goes on It gets fuzzy.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Few questions to assist me in helping you:

Have you had any eye surgery?

Do you have other cornea problems, besides dry eyes?

What other medical problems do you have?

Most importantly, what other medications do you take? and which to you take in the morning, and which do you take in the evening?

I awiat your reply. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no

no

hypertension and bph

corzide 40/5 for blood pressure

avodart for bph

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

What time of the day do you take Avodart?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
around 9 am
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

It's most likely that your natural lens is hardening (form cataract) due to age, and therefore it's more difficult to bent the lights coming into your eyes, and focusing them perfectly at the back of your eye. During the day, there is more light, so your are able to see better, but at night there is less light, and is more difficult to focus. In addition, in bright light you may also notice glare (scattering of light). In general, the solution is simple these days - I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation. You may need cataract surgery if giving you new prescription glasses does not correct or help significantly the problem.

If cataract surgery is what you need, it is a procedure that lasts for about 10-15 minutes for each on different days. It's same day surgery, and if you do not have any previous problem with your eye, after the procedure you should see close to 20/20 vision. In general, depending on the selection of lens you agree with your doctor, you either will only need reading glasses after the surgery or none at all - so that you will become completely free from glasses. Please, I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for a closer evaluation of what your need to correct this problem. In the meantime, you can re-check and adjust your glasses prescription if you wear one to help you focus better.

The other remote possibility for decreased focusing at night is that your cornea cells (endothial cells) works better to keep your cornea clear during the day than at night time. In general, these endothelial cells decrease with age, and therefore work less efficiently. However, this is less likely the case for you.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon