Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I had catarac surgery on my left eye 3 weeks ago. I see haze

I had catarac surgery on my left eye 3 weeks ago. I see haze and light coming through. It is like a spot of haze and moves across my eye. What does this mean?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Do you see any flashes of light?
When did you first notice this?
When is your next appointment with your ophthalmologist?
How is your vision?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I don't see a flash of light. It is more like a floating light. Also, my vision is somewhat blurred sometimes kinda like a catarac. When that is not happening my vision is clear and good. I also see a black line around the outside of my pupil. I told the doctor about this. She checked my peripheral vision and that is okay. She said it was a floater. I noticed the black line 2 days after surgery. The floating light came a few days ago. I see the doctor again Dec. 15. I am scheduled to have my right eye done 12/22, but am afraid to. What do you think?

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
I agree with your doctor that what you are describing is likely a floater. Floaters are caused by opacities in the thick gel behind your lens. Cataract surgery can accelerate the degeneration of this thick gel and increase the formation of these floaters.

You doctor should dilate your eyes at the Dec 15th visit. If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

The floaters you describe after cataract surgery is not unusual. There is no reason to delay the surgery in the other eye. If the vision has improved after the first surgery and you are happy with the outcome, you should proceed with the other eye.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If catarac surgery accelerates the degeneration of the thick gel isn't that reason enough not to have another surgery?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
No, vitreous degeneration is a common occurrence and happens in people who haven't had any surgery. Cataract surgery just makes it occur sooner.

There are risks associated with cataract surgery, but the risk are the same now or 10 years from now. Cataract surgery is elective. If you feel you can function fine with the current cataract, then deferring surgery is not a problem.

Please remember to accept if my answer has been helpful to you.

Edited by Dr. James on 12/4/2009 at 9:43 PM EST