Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

redness went..couple of days and it returned to my other eye..itchy

HELLO DOCTOR,

my problem is that a week ago I developed a red eye on the white area (no pain, discomfort or blur); the redness went away for couple of days and it returned to my other eye (the left one, also on the white area). i feel it a bit itchy, not much, slightly blury, but not much different than the other one was like. i now have it for more than 2 days.
i read on internet that it can be a sign of serious illness; what is it i should use/ do next? thank you very much. and have a good day.

regards,

Irina
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Few questions to help assist you:

Are the eye tearing or watering?

Do you have history of allergy?

Are your eyes sensitive to light?

Has this problem happened in the past?

Other medical problem?

Are you taking any medication?

I await your reply. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

no tearing or watering eyes

no allergy history

not sensitive to light, not now, not usually

i have had red eyes in the past, not so serious though; it happened quite a while ago

no other medical problems that i am aware, not with my eyes not my general health;

i have given birth 17 months ago

hope this helps

thank you

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

It appears that you were experiencing redness due to the inflammation of the episcleral (episcleritis). Episcleritis is the redness of the conjunctiva due to mild inflammation and dilation of the small blood vessels of the conjunctiva, and usually not painful (may be uncomfortable feeling or mild pain). It can be diffuse or sectoral on the white part of the eye. It can occur in one or both eyes.

It is usually not harmful, and most times the cause is not known. However, sometimes it can be associated with history of rheumatoid arthritis, and certain collagen vascular diseases, especially when it reoccurs frequently. I suggest that you use OTC Zaditor twice daily for two weeks. In addition to using preservative free tear drop (Refresh Plus or Genteal drop) 4 times daily for two weeks, and as needed thereafter. If not resolved after two weeks, then I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation under the silt-lamp microscope.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

HELLO DOCTOR,

thank you very much for your response;

final question - i live in london, i do not know if these medicines you are recommending are available or not here, but if htey are not what should i ask from the pharmacist?

also shall i use the medicine for 2 weeks even if the redness goes away?

many thanks again

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for reply.

The preservative free tear drops are over the counter (OTC). They probable come in different brand in UK. Zaditor is now over the counter, it use to be prescription. Ask the pharmacist for another comparable product that is OTC, such as voltaren or any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drops marketed OTC should be good. If you do not have discomfort at this time, then you can hold off on the zaditor or voltaren, but use the preservative free tear drops.